Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Om Shanti


Today I bought myself a yoga bag. Its a beautiful light blue – the colour of the sky on a sunny day. It has the motif of 'Om Shanti' printed on the front. My yoga mat (which is also blue and has clouds and rainbows on – thanks Super Yogi Chef) fits perfectly inside. I bought my new yoga mat from a small Tibetan shop. The proceeds go to supporting Tibetan political prisoners, so I didn't feel so bad about spending 380 rupees/ £4.50 (the equivalent to what I spend on three nights accommodation). Indeed I didn't feel so 'bad' until I walked outside and handed seven rupees to a Beggar with eaten fingers and eaten toes.


What hypocritical lives we lead. What gives us the right to think we deserve our fortune? To spend money to satisfy our whims, while others Struggle just to Survive? And then we feel like martyrs when we make small sacrifices. Or find excuses to keep our eyes closed by telling ourselves that we 'can't help everyone' or ' the beggars make plenty of money so why should we give them more'? Why give more small change to a young man who has already lost his family through a disease as well as his fingers and toes when Others may give him their small change?
What feeds this attitude of dis-attachment, superiority, ignorance? Where we can live happily in a world of parallels – the 'lucky' juxtaposed against the 'unlucky'?

Is it religion? Is it that we feel fulfilled by doing a Service to God rather than by doing a Service to a fellow living creature that allows us to draw a line? Is it this 'disconnectedness' from our blatant interconnectedness with each other that makes us believe the suffering of others is nothing to do with us? Or conversely, is it a belief in 'Karma' which gives us the excuse to stay blinded? So as we make time in our busy schedules to pick and choose the selected 'Western Friendly' teachings of the Dalai Lama, such as the 'Art of Happiness,' our consciouses are smoothed by the idea that we have each been fed a fate which we 'deserve'? That leprosy or any other debilitating disease is a consequence of our own actions and therefore we can let the lepers live with their 'punishment'. That is of course if we even find the time to hear or to challenge our consciousnesses. However, this attitude would suggest that we would all feel grateful and satisfied with our 'lucky' lives..


Alternatively, perhaps our dis-attachment and view of compassion, it is a reflection of our consumer society which is becoming Increasingly Individualised and Isolated? Or even a continuation of colonalism which allows us (or in this case Me) to walk to the street and feel a flash of pity before continuing in my bubble of self assurance?


Anyway, apologises for using the plural to express my frustrations. I guess it makes me feel less heartless if I include 'You' within the same questions I am being forced to ask myself.


Om Shanti Indeed.

No comments: