Monday, November 17, 2008

Keep Listening


Impermanence surrounds us. As much as we trick ourselves we will all disappear. And yet we are one of so many. So many beings. So many lives. So many moments to think. So many opportunities to change, to live, to search.

I have just returned to the Himalayan Buddhist Meditation Centre in the middle of Krazy Kathmandu. The monk leading the meditation began with vocalising my thoughts. I am not special. My thoughts are not unique. His words made me feel Happy simply because what he had to say was so simple. His words gave me one hour to try to quieten mine. To listen. To hear my breath. To silence the mind which keeps telling me this and telling me that.

And where did this and that come from? Who put them there? Who created the reactions which I despise? Who instilled culture within me? Rules and manners, assumptions and beliefs?

Parents, teachers, friends, films, magazines, newspapers, the books which I try to absorb, the laws which it took me years to question, interactions, expectations, conversations? There is so much noise, and so much confusion. Emotions rise and fall, excitement, happiness, sadness, anger, judgements. There are so many thoughts which appear, disappear, reappear and then change. And then where? Where do thoughts transpire and expire?

When does the Self transpire?

No comments: