Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Searching for Sounds


-->
Deepa is continuing to respond well to sound. Admidst the noise and chaos of the nursery it is possible to sneak into the classroom and extracted one of the many musical instruments which seem to be kept locked away so that they aren't broken. One of Deepa's favourites is a big tambourine/drum which can be banged and can be jangled. Today during my search and retrieve mission, the little boy who has a crush on Deepa locked me inside the classroom. Unfortunately for him, the classroom as a clear plastic window so I could see him while he doubled over in anticipation of the joke he had just played on me, alerting the attention of a new massi who – fortunately for me – just unlocked the door and focused her attention on controlling the now disappointed cunning boy. With the tambourine/drum and Deepa's searching fingers in the other we retreated to a corner of the nursery away from the prying eyes of the other kids.
Deepa began to tap the drum beating out a rhythmic sound as I sang random songs. When I began my rendition of 'Indiana Jones' (a long time favourite) Deepa began to tap the beat precisely. I changed to 'Inspector Gadget' (again another old favourite) and Deepa also changed the rhythm to fit. I tried 'Sound of Music', 'Twinkle Twinkle' and finally after running out of familiar songs moved back to the festive jangles of 'Jingle Bells'. Deepa had the rhythm perfected for each one. An inability which I remember my piano teacher becoming incredibly frustrated with me for, and at times, wringing her hands in despairing disbelief.
Later that day as Deepa climbed into her bed I left her singing 'da da da - daaaaaa' to Indina Jones. Small successes, but again proof that music is a way to seal Deepa's connection to the outside world.
I have also been trying to allow Deepa to attend the pseudo in-house school – which seems rather sporadic and involves a great deal of singing along to children's hymns. However, this is precisely why I think Deepa will benefit from it. However, out first attempt wasn't so successful. After succouring entry into a morning session, during which a long term volunteer was playing the guitar and the children clapping along, Deepa immediately tried to search and recover the guitar. Now in order to try and facilitate her return I tried to restrain her – a task I don't enjoy as she has so little freedoms as it is. However, this was achieved by whispering to her to sit down as I sat behind her and clapped my hands in front of her as a minor distraction. Yet my tactic was to rebound as half way through the next song an undercover angry massi (previously disguised as a 'nice' woman), stopped the music and began to complain to the entire classroom that all the 'aunties' (ie volunteers) were too tactile with the children and this made them cry when they left. The rest of the children looked confused, as did the guitarist, while I filled the silence by replying that perhaps if the massis were more affectionate with the children, the gap left by the volunteers departure need not lead to tears. Meanwhile, Deepa was lifted up and put on a chair freeing her from a distraction and of course inevitably leading her to go in search of the guitar....Game Over.
To be Continued...

No comments: