Sunday, February 14, 2010

Anonymous Obituary

Time has passed since you passed

Days, perhaps a week or more.

I wanted to write about you,

But you weren't important.


I didn't know you, I will never know you

But you died on my doorstep.

Invisible in Life, Invisible in Death,

The world around you continued, without a pause.


Perhaps it was minutes, or more likely hours

before a mutual friend stopped to help you.

Too late. Like this Obituary,

For life had left your eyes, your body, your invisible life.


People walking,

Rickshaws spinning,

Dogs sniffing.

Perhaps a glance, but you were nothing in life,

Why then should you be noticed in death?


Perhaps I saw you, stabbing your skin with the syringe,

Escaping your reality, your body for one final time.

But I would have glanced, perhaps pitied and then forgot.

You were one of too many.


Will anyone miss you?

Will anyone notice you have gone?

A few thoughts to wonder Who you were.

A few thoughts to wonder who you could have been?


I wonder what your childhood dreams were?

Was there a time you belonged somewhere?

With a mother or a father, a lover or a child?

Where did the short journey of life take you?


An anonymous death, killed by survival.


No comments: