Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Power of Hugs







The blind children love touch. Mita giggles whenever I tickle her face, and Netu dimples her cheeks and kicks her legs when I tickle her tummy. They both love to be picked up and when I do they place their heads on my chest and listen to my silent heart beat.

Thankfully, child massage is pretty big in India, and as a result the massi's massage most of the physically challenged kids every day. However, it is not allowed to pick up the children, and even though I also agree the children who are able to need to learn to walk and not to be carried, when it comes to the blind babies, touch is essential. There is a fine line between comforting a blind baby and letting them know your presence and being scared to touch them for breaking the rules.

Deepa is also incredibly tactile and is becoming more so as our relationship grows. Her need for touch led me to a book entitled "The Power of Touch." Throughout the book the author (Phyllis Davis) refers to scientific studies supporting the importance of the human touch, and in particular its importance to children. She refers to scientific studies showing that inadequate touch not only leads to mental retardation, but is also a prime factor in marasmus (wasting away) which used to be the main cause of death of babies in orphanages. Davis refers to research showing that sensory stimulation actually increases a child's general alertness and responsiveness to learning: "Touch and tactile stimulation can increase a child's intelligence and learning ability". This seems incredibly relevant to Deepa, who is not only working to overcome delayed learning but who has also received very little tactile stimulation after growing up in the orphanage. Touch (along with hearing) is the principle way which Deepa is able to see and to experience our world.

I find myself in a rather stupid position as Deepa wants lots of hugs but I am not meant to reciprocate. Thankfully this does not stop her from trying and today as we were playing in the park, she gave me a beautiful hug, which I simply could not refuse.

I want to share this huge hug with you, as even from the photos it is clear how natural and innate Deepa's need for a hug was, and indeed her touch (as always) was incredibly powerful. However, the Sister who appeared on the roof was immune to Deepa's hugging energy, and shouted down to me to stop hugging her, so instead I turned her upside down and tickled her :-)

No comments: