Saturday, February 20, 2016

Red Light Yoga



 
Early in the day I return to New Light.  The kids ring around me, orchestrate me into their games, sit me down and stand me up.  But today I’m not here for them, but for their mothers.  A car comes to retrieve me and take me to a four day workshop co-facilitated by New Light and a wonder fill woman who from now on I will call the story teller dancer.  As this is what she does.  She provides a venue for the women to heal through their bodies, to dance through their story.  She has dedicated her life to service work, offering her skills in the most difficult situations.  Committed to facilitating the movement of Joy.

The beauty of the workshop is that it is composed of so many different and holistic elements.  Its simplicity contains the key to its magic.  Good food, a safe place for the women to spend four days before they go home for the evening shift.  It consists of movement as well as the wonderful contributions from a ceramic artist whose studio is transformed into a haven. Here there  is a forum to discuss key health issues concerns – STDs, drug use, where they can obtain free condoms and the necessity that they insist on their use. Fresh fruits, chai and a huge lunch is served each day.  All of this – the art, the play, the conversation free from judgment, the shelter and food – are given staples to myself and my community, yet here they are both a novelty and a luxury.

I walk in not sure what to expect, but I spy Urmi sitting on the floor amidst the women and go and hug her.  She looks fantastic.  Full power.  A wealthy and educated woman, from the same city as the women she works with, and yet she was dealt a very different set of cards.  Yet like these women, in order to survive the work that she has thrown her heart and soul into, she knows the tricks of the street.  How to use her influence and connections to retrieve stolen children, to provide opportunities for those who would otherwise never have any, to convince those who would rather not know the details of what they would rather not see and as a result spare a little of their affluence.  For example, New Light recently opened a boys home, and Urmi found the perfect sponsor - the singer and song writer, Ben Harper.  The first words she says to me: “are you ready to teach?”  I grin in reply, and within minutes find myself in front of the sari clad women running through basic asanas. 

There are a thousand ways to communicate, a thousand ways to connect.  And right from the start my eyes and my smile are my greatest assets.  I’m deeply aware of the dynamics – of me being a blonde white yoga teacher, without direct experience of these women’s lives.  Years ago I did work for Oxford University’s Refugee Studies Centre on the impact of the conflict on the health of children.  One shocking but perhaps not surprising result was that both trafficking soared as well as the number of young girls and boys entering the sex trade. I was thrown into a situation which I hadn’t bargained for – working with trafficked kids, many of whom hid in fear, craved affection, were HIV positive.  It meant that when I arrived in Kolkata years ago it made sense that I would find my self back in the red light district, learning and seeing more of the horrors of this ancient trade – the trade of flesh.   I’m saying this because life may not be linear but it is cumulative:  What we choose as our profession doesn’t necessarily directly follow from our studies, but what we learn in both formal and informal education definitely informs what we do.  I might not be a sex worker, Indian or even a professional social worker but I know more than the majority of yoga teachers about the dynamics of the sex industry.  I’ve also intensely studied the challenges of “Development” – including that of an outsider coming in to share a project or workshop.  The importance of letting go of assumptions, of continuously adapting to what is needed – and to really listen to what is needed.

After yoga came massage.  It was simple, the women just had to take a partner and give a head massage.  Hair was untied and another layer of kindness fell over the room.  I found a partner and remembered the gift studying massage had endowed to me – the importance of a loving touch and the ability to immediately relief both physical and emotional tension.  The woman in my hands melted.  The time came for receivers to give but the opportunity I had to share this moment was to precious and with every inch of my being I continued the massage.  Later in the afternoon my partner found me and hugged my heart.  

Another moment which stood out from the day was that of applying herbal face-masks to one another.  A gentle touch, a powerful symbolism, that if these women have to continue in selling their bodies, today at least they can have the opportunity to be adored in a platonic and caring way.  Part of me wondered how wise this was.  That these women have to be tough to do what they do.  There is no space for softness; vulnerability could put their very lives at risk.  Yet after we simply looked into one another eyes.  A practice I do regularly in Acro Yoga classes.  Today was so very different.  Tears poured immediately.  There were no masks here.  Despite the strength these women endure life with, they are still women – incredible women.  They feel, they cry, they want (like we all do) basic human rights and under it all - a pure love.


No comments: