Saturday, January 30, 2010

Birthday Wishes


Turning 30 in Kolkata. My dreams of heading off to the mountains for a few days have not materialised, so instead I will celebrate at the orphanage. Friends have volunteered to play some music - a little bit of traditional sitar, some tabla, and a mini guitar. I have invested in a brand new pack of face paints, and a bucket load of Bengali sweets soaked in syrup which should keep the massis and Sisters happy. As for birthday wishes - I have one at the top of the list - that Deepa will talk soon. She is making loads more noises and clearly becoming more confident in her sounds, but her random words are still random, and not a clear reflection of her comprehension. After a wonderful donation from a friend from Bali, I have managed to secure a Bengali speech therapist to come to Sishu Bahavan for an extra day a week for the next four months. Thank you! Although his talents will be spread out between all of the children, at least Deepa and the blind babies will have more of an opportunity to learn the value of words.

Meanwhile, I continue to have inspiring dreams of musicians, music lessons and dance classes but at the moment they remain dreams. If anyone could help me to realise these, opening up the world of Deepa and the other blind children through sounds, it would be wonderful. I need an MP3 player, I need ideas, contacts and traveling maestros! Any more donations to extend the speech therapist beyond a weekly session for four months would also be incredible. Am I expecting too much? Not at all...dreams are dreamt to be realised, and after nearly 30 years of surviving and loving life on this incredible planet, helping an incredible being step into her power can surely be brought into realisation - especially with a little help from friends....Thank you all for your encouragement, thoughts and ideas. Now and always...

If your far away, please have a little dance for me and Deepa - if your near, dancing, singing and magical music sounds are at 3.30pm at Sishu Bahavan tomorrow. In Solidarity. X

1 comment:

anni said...

I know that in Delhi it is possible to study music therapy or such. not until masters degree but some anyways. a nepali friend of mine is studying there...maybe someone in kolkata has done the same?